Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Try Hard... To Stop!

It's been another action packed week at the lovely Lloyd C Bird high school. With the Socratic seminar, physics quizzes, and calculus homework, my week couldn't have been better. My grades are magnificent; I guess you could say I'm kicking butt and taking names. However, as I'm doing my thing, you guys keep distracting me! The wonderful students who roam these halls have opened my eyes to a plethora of things that need to be discussed this week. Despite the many things I've found to blog about, I had an interaction today that took precedence. This is something that has tugged at my nerves for as long as I can remember, so I'm going to take this opportunity to voice just how annoying/stupid/ignorant it is to call someone a try-hard.

Anyone who gets a good grade, gets complimented on their work, or goes above and beyond often gets labeled as a try-hard.

First of all, who ever decided trying hard was a bad thing? Last time I checked, being a hard worker was a good trait to have. It's not often that I catch myself thinking, "Man I sure do wish I was a lazy bum." I certainly don't tell my friends, "Hey guys, I just really want to find a guy who is lazy and doesn't put forth any effort." Trying hard is a good thing! No one needs to be put down for doing well. If you're guilty of using this atrocious term, take a good look at yourself. You're just jealous! I have a secret, though; you have potential, too! You're just lazy. Somehow, somewhere in time, young folks have gotten in their heads that failing and being stupid is cool. News flash: it's not. It's not cute. It's actually annoying.

So thank you to anyone and everyone who has called me a try-hard; it's actually a compliment. I'd rather be the try-hard that gets the good grade and is going somewhere in life than the loser who sits there and laughs at the people who get the good grades. Guess who is going to college and is going to be making the big bucks someday?! You got it, the try-hard.

So, let me continue to do my thing.

Why do you feel the need to put down someone who is killing it?

Let them be successful without feeling bad about it. Lay off the Haterade.

That is all.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think it's an actual compliment to be called a try-hard. When someone calls me this, it boosts my self esteem and confidence and makes me try harder. I don't know who thinks this is a bad thing. It'll get you pretty far in life I think. Good for you for not letting this get you down. I always love reading your blog too. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too, by being laughed at or complimented for hard work makes me feel a lot better about myself and my work. It drives me to try harder on all the work i have coming up in certain classes. Don't let there "Debby-downers" get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in! I have always wondered why people feel the need to try and discourage someone from working hard. I personally would rather work my butt off and get good results. Trying hard and being successful is nothing to be ashamed about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See Sarah you're just mad because you go try hard in calculus, but you are exactly right about me being jealous that you got a higher grade than mine. It's okay though because between the two of us, we can teach that whole back corner. Let me know if you are going to blog about something else I say because I got a good laugh from that one. You do a very good job with your blog and I am glad I decided to take a look at yours. Keep trying hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will admit I myself have been accused of calling a few people try hards (mainly Brittney) but this post has made me realized how wrong I truly was. It also makes me realize how great it does feel when someone calls me a try hard. Next time I'll be sure to thank the person who called me a try hard. Another great post Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Sarah. I never understood the stereotype of a straight A student. Maybe my viewpoint is flawed but I wake up every day hoping to be better and wanting to try-harder, and I don't see how that makes me less cool than anyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great point! I've been both guilty and victim of this though. I think I've called people this because I was jealous of the person with the better grade, but I actually love being called a try hard! It makes me feel like my work is recognized! Keep posting! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete